Spyke

Posts

Never allow someone to make you feel bad for just doing what you gotta do. Have no shame when you choose to love yourself.

We've all seen the stories a person with a drinking habit who finally gets clean, turns back and does something awful once they start drinking again orba person who was a teetotaler before chooses to sociallly drink because 'thats' what everyone else was doimg so I jad to following along...

We gotta stop stories like this from occurring to us and to others.

If you have to quit drinking forever cause you know its had too harsh of an impact on your life and the life of your loved ones? No shame in that. And thank you for admitting that you have a problem and taking steps to t ackle that problem 🫂

If you never drink cause youre just a teetotaler and thats your only reason for never drinking? No shame in that. And thank you for just being you and embracing who you really are. 🫂

No shame. Im proud of yall. Best of wishes to everyone on this journey 🫂

View original on lemmy.world
22

barack obama was one of the best american and White supremacists of all time....

barack obama was one of the best american and White supremacists of all time.

You have a Black man who not only is OK with continuing the usa's milking of Global South countries' resources and labour through the imf, wto , and world bank and unequal exchange deals, is OK woth continuing the 'wAr On TeRrOr' and bombing Africans and Asians civilian , is OK with the continuation of funding of death squads and pro-american-at-the-expense-of-poor brown-people governments all over the Global South too! (didnt the usa play a part in assad getting stuck into he Syrian Civil War during obama's tenure? also barack obama continued to fund the saudi arabian and gulf governments that have been either bombing out or kicking out the Yemeni and Palestinian people. He's done other more heinous things too to other Black and Browm people all over the planet too ..)

But obama is also A-OK with being the shield that american and White supremacists of the usa can hide behind to say 'SeE? My cOunTry IsNt RacIst!1?1?¡ We HaD A bLaCk PreSieDenT !¿HrNgH!?¿'

(....ya a Black president who played a part in the current Congo and Sudan conflicts. A Black president who didnt force a single american billionaire to pay reparations to the Native and Black people enslaved and genocided back in the 1400s-1900s. Also ...isnt barack obama Hawaiian? Didnmt the american government massacre a bunchbof Hawaiians during colonization? So the americans had a Black president who happily massacred other Black people. How nice of him🥰😘)

alice weidel's lesbian status and her Sri Lankan wife are the average German White supremacist's 'shield' of equal strength to obama 's strength for american White supremacists! I also feel the same way about mamdani and his wife too.

View original on lemmy.world
1

Where can I learn about surfactants in detergents and on clothing in depth please?

Basically I have some merino wool stuff to clean but most people who have read a little about merino wool knows that you cant use different enzymes on them and most detergents on the planet have enzymes.

So that basically made me go search around for detergents thst dont have enzymes and there's quite a few but there is two problems : Some of them are unusually expensive , like the eucalan brand scentless one is 4 litres for 90 dollars and soak's scentless brand's is 96 dollars for 2.25 litres . And then the second problem is that you have others like eco -max brand scentless, hypoallergenic detergent and other brands that have so few surfactants and such a tiny concentration of surfactants that the people who use them t say that it is practically water.

So now my questions are how can someone know if a detergent is practically water based on the surfactants in it and the concentration of surfactants? And what would be the cheapest brands of

  1. scentless non-wool wash detergent with surfacfanrs that arent BS

  2. and scentless wool wash detergent with surfactants that arent BS (Ive heard that baby shamppoo is an alternative but is it a long term alternative? It trully has nothing in it that can destroy certain fabrics?? Is it a cheaper alternative?)

If I have to make this myself cause itll be cheaper that way? I probably will. Or should I just use a trillion litres every time I use that eco-max brand stuff?

ALSO I dont buy anything from companies complicit in the Palestinian Genocide. So no tide brand scentless

View original on lemmy.world
24

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Amd Im talking about homeless shelters located in ANY, YYES A.N.Y. part of ontario. It doesnnt matter if its cornwall, fort severn, windsor, niagara falls, thunder bay, lonndon, whatever.

Are they all full as Ive heard? Can I confirm this for myself? Is that why they always drop the call when you call 211?

How long does one get to stay there and how much does it cost to stay there per month?

Thank you.

View original on lemmy.world
4

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Amd Im talking about homeless shelters located in ANY, YYES A.N.Y. part of ontario. It doesnnt matter if its cornwall, fort severn, windsor, niagara falls, thunder bay, lonndon, whatever.

Are they all full as Ive heard? Can I confirm this for myself? Is that why they always drop the call when you call 211?

How long does one get to stay there and how much does it cost to stay there per month?

Thank you.

View original on lemmy.world
19
main·sh.itjust.works Main CommunitybyUnequalExchange

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Amd Im talking about homeless shelters located in ANY, YYES A.N.Y. part of ontario. It doesnnt matter if its cornwall, fort severn, windsor, niagara falls, thunder bay, lonndon, whatever.

Are they all full as Ive heard? Can I confirm this for myself? Is that why they always drop the call when you call 211?

How long does one get to stay there and how much does it cost to stay there per month?

Thank you.

View original on lemmy.world
8

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Where can I go to learn about homeless shelters in ontario please?

Amd Im talking about homeless shelters located in ANY, YYES A.N.Y. part of ontario. It doesnnt matter if its cornwall, fort severn, windsor, niagara falls, thunder bay, lonndon, whatever.

Are they all full as Ive heard? Can I confirm this for myself? Is that why they always drop the call when you call 211?

How long does one get to stay there and how much does it cost to stay there per month?

Thank you.

View original on lemmy.world
3

Why didnt the Malayan Genocide (or Malayan ' emErGeNcY') lead to a socialistic or transitory society there?

I mean after the global northerners slaughtered and robbed the Cubans, Koreans, and Vietnamese, they all licked their wounds and decided to make socialistic societies...

This first part happened in Malaysia....but then.... ????

Like isnt that how the story is supposed to go?
1.You and your people declare a desire to have a sovialistic leader or socialistic economic superstructure 2. Greedy and deranged global northerners invade you for ....reasons. (maybe theyre afraid that youre about to end all the Uneqial Exchange Trade Deals you and your people have with them. Or maybe theyre jealous. I dont really know to be honest) 3. A lot of your people die.
4. global notherners leave you and your people 5. ???? 6. You create a socialiistic society anyways.

Was it becauss they lost? (also how did they lose with so much support?)

Or am I am idiot ?

View original on lemmy.world
2
buyitforlife·Buy it for LifebyUnequalExchange

a very specific type of winter boot please?

If anyone has any advice for BIFL , wide toed winter boots that are also waterproof , available to be shipped to canada, dont use goretex, AND have good traction on ice or steel cleats? please let me know.

Edit : I forgot to add I dont buy from lem’s shoes. Ever again.I plan on walking like 10 or 20 KMs in -30 °C weather with these almost every day. Yes in the snow, mud, rain, or ice. Whatevver I encounter.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Foot-sole-area-measurement-The-surface-areas-of-9-different-individual-regions-were_fig3_325610182

My feet are extremely wide through it s entirety .

From the lat arch to med arch of my foot that is probably wider than the distance from the lat met to med met for my foot. So there is the possibility that barefoot boots might be a best option for me since they are probably the most malleable shoes in the world so they should be able to hug around my sole without squeezing too tight.

View original on lemmy.world
32

what is the biggest steel pot a person in toronto can buy?

answers please.

Edit : So I probably should have been more specific . Im looking for a big cooking pot , not one of those factory mixing tanks lol. I guess something that is about the size of about 150 Litres

Someone here suggested I speak to a black smith about it an I honestly have no Idea how to even begin contacting blacksmiths in toronto. If you can let me know then please do. I do have a couple things Im willing to pay to have welded , this pot included. But my biggest questions to the blacksmith would be:

  1. 'How do I determine the 'quality' of the steel thst is being used? What the hell is 'steel quality' anyways? can it be quantified or is it qualitatively determined or both?

  2. I am looking for steel that could almost last me a lifetime so any ideas as to what I should evem begin to research about when it comes to steel like this? ?

  3. ' Im looking for steel that is resistant to water and hot water for the pot that I need welded and then I am looking for steel that is resitant to sweat and external forces (both horizontal and vertical) for this pull up station I need welded where can I research what types of steels I need for these two types of products?

View original on lemmy.world
51

A lot of questions regarding laundry. Please help if you can?

  1. Why does lemmy not have a laundry dedicated forum? How have lemmy been a thing for this long with no laundry dedicated forum? lol.

  2. . I live in an apartment where there are public washing machines available but the filter for the washing machines are DEFINITRLY not regularly cleaned (most of my laundry smells like vomit right now T-T) so should I just clean it all on my own? in the wash bin? What tyoe of wash bin should I get ? What else should I consider?

  3. If I do get a washbin do you have any suggestions as to what washbin I should get or sny special considerations I should consider? I plan on getting a steel one. Also I live in canada

  4. I have a lot of merino wool stuff to clean so does anyone have any advice on surfactants that shouldnt be used on merino wool stuff other than enzymes and bleaching agents?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Edit THIS is a similar model of machine than what we have here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzJ1gw3-j8&pp=ygUobWF5dGFnIGNvbW1lcmNpYWwgd2FzaGVyIGZpbHRlciBsb2NhdGlvbg%3D%3D and I dont know how much trouble Ill get intk for takong off the back part and cleaning out the filter.

View original on lemmy.world
22

A trillion and one questions about laundry please help?

  1. Why does lemmy not have a laundry dedicated forum? How have lemmy been a thing for this long with no laundry dedicated forum?

  2. I live in an apartment where there are public washing machines available but the filter for the washing machines are DEFINITRLY not regularly cleaned (most of my laundry smells like vomit right now T-T) so should I just clean it all on my own? in the wash bin? What tyoe of wash bin should ? What else should I consider?

  3. If I do get a washbin do you have any suggestions as to what washbin I should get or sny special considerations I should consider? I plan on getting a steel one. Also I live in canada

  4. I have a lot of merino wool stuff to clean so does anyone have any advice on suirfactants that shouldnt be used on merino wool stuff other than enzymes and bleaching agents?

Thanks to anyone that helps.

Edit THIS is a similar model of machine than what we have here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzJ1gw3-j8&pp=ygUobWF5dGFnIGNvbW1lcmNpYWwgd2FzaGVyIGZpbHRlciBsb2NhdGlvbg%3D%3D and I dont know how much trouble Ill get intk for takong off the back part and cleaning out the filter.

View original on lemmy.world
91

Cheap Pull Up station reccomendations please?

I need a pull up station, NOT a pull up bar, because I plan on doing bodyweight dead lifts and what will practically be gymnastics on that bar in the middle of summer AND winter and jungle gyms just dont cut it in the canadian fall and winter obviously. Im only 5’9 and Im in toronto if that helps.

Any ideas please? Could I just go to like a landfill and pick up some discarded metal bars and like get them welded together? Or do I just buy one of those big coat racks and remove the wheels on the legs and weld on a steel platform for each of the legs??.

I live in an apartment so I cant screew in anythinng or damage rhe paint or the drywall cause its illegal . also those pull up bars that use thresholds to stay put are also not enough for me because I plan on doing some absolutely looney stuff like the german hang, the front lever, bback lever, human flag , tne one armed pull up and muscle ups on that pull up station lol.

and by Bodyweight Deadlifts I mean this: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/SjqhGRQcMJE

I also plan on doing this: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/EVCeuFlBRHc though I have no idea what the exercise is called but FlexyDave showed it to me and I fell inlove with it. And Ill even be swinging while Im upside down like that. AND Ill be doing abdominal curls or ‘upside down sit-ups’ (if thats what theyre called) as Im upside down like that.

I thoughtk Ive found what I was looking for: https://www.baseblocks.com/products/the-big-bar-pro . Very simplistic . and it appears to be abble to handle a lot of vertical load but The reviews on the website say that the station kind of slips and slides if you try to put any horizontal forces UNLESS you hold it down with sand bags. But Im gonna put this thing in my bedroom so sandbags are kind of out of the question… So my search is still on.

Also if anyone knows how I can put sandbags in a bedroom without sand flying all over the place please let me know

And no I wont be going to the gym to get access to a pull up station

I can buy it for a maximum of 600 CAD$

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Edit: Ive decided that above the bar exercises probably wouldnt be the best to do in an apartment bedroom as I dont know how high the bar will be when I ourchase the prpduct in relation to the height of the apartment’s ceilings-to-floor measurements. Ill jsut save those for the jungle gymsn when summer and late spring come around.

View original on lemmy.world

Why are there so many adult children out there in the world?

I mean those people who you look at them and they have the body and responsibilities of a 43 year old but then you hear them talk about other people or other ethnicities or other situations that people are experiencing elsewhere and the person had might as well be a remorseless 3 year old that was raised wrongly.... The thing that floors me is hen you meet a very old person, Im talking in their 60s or older, and they start spewing some of the most idiotic, narcisisstic garbage a person could ever talk of... 'How have you spent all these years learning nothing?!'

Is it really THAT hard to break free of the chains of your terrible childhood and develop just a little empathy , understanding and humanity towards others? I DEFINITELY didnt have the best childhood seeing as how I was bullied and ostracized for decades , even by my parents lol, but I came to realize that 'Hurt people will hurt people.' so why am I going to go out of my way to be selfish and make more people who are hurt? But on the other hand I see , and Im sure most of you also have seen, that humans are not a very logicsl species sometimes. We have the potential to be more logical than Einstein but it doesnt always play out like that... We as a species do A LOOOT of things based on anti-logic, emotions, our pains, our traumas, or our cognitive distortions and this in turn sometimes creates more 'hurt people' ...

Im not saying that humans have gotten worse over time cause anybody here can open up wikipedia and read about all the awful things we used to do to each other , if anything we have gotten better just a little bit. But why are there STILL in the year of 2026 people who choose to just not 'grow up' ?

TL;DR too many adults , and even seniors , Ive emcountered have illogical and sometimes psychopathic opinions . Why do so many people choose to not grow up and be more understanding?

What is your take on something like this?

Edit: from what Im seeing there are couple takes I ld agree with 5o explain this phenomena

  1. there could be neurological disorders like CTE , schizoaffective disorders, etc... that causes an older individual to do and say unusual things ....and hurtful things. Cures for these are barely existent so if someone suffers from them? Theyre just out of luck and hvlave to hope they dont do anything too hurtful

  2. The overal lack of mmental health care , mental health breaks, mental health interventions , and psychiatric medication access globally. Some people are lucky and are born in a region that has such things easily. ..others sadly arent...

  3. Some people get stuck in a cycle of self destructive cognitive distortions that impairs their ability to grow. there is the possibility that it is a reactive defensive mechanism that one has in response to our very flawed societies that humans have evolved from thousands of years that although it was probably w useful reaction thousands of years ago the current world is very much differenr than it was thousands or years ago . So these cognitive distortions become detrimental more than they are beneficial. Very few people are born innately malicious and/or with an antisocial personality disorder , but a person can clearly become both of these things with enough prompting. And not all humans are the same we all have different genetics ans different stories , all because one oerson reacts in a healthy and self-loving manner to malicious stimulation that doesnt mean all other peoole will do the same. This also has the chance to lead to echo chambering or self imoosed isolation and both if these makes recovery and interventions from external sources more difficult. So basicallt both nurture and nature can play a role in the self-destructive practices abd thought process a person conducts in response to the sad and lonely society of today.

  4. Humans havent really evolved to or adapted well to modern society. Like empathy of other groups or for other groups of people on the other side of the planet may be difficult for some people to understand and learn. Humans have created and stuck tio 'outgroups' and 'ingroups' for millenia and very rarely have humans acknowledge the truth that 'We are ALL part of. the ingroup since we are ALL humans' . I dont think this completely excuses a person to treat other groups of people in awful ways though.

  5. Soceties that have encouraged ignorance all in the name of listening only to a few politicians and very rich people will clearly create more and more ignorant peoples. And this clearly occurs tor the detriment of those people who cjoose to be ignorant. Being very rich or a politician doesnt mean that you kniw everything that each human needs

View original on lemmy.world
27

pull up station ideas please?

I need a pull up station, NOT a pull up bar, because I plan on doing bodyweight dead lifts in the middle of summer AND winter and jungle gyms just dont cut it in the fall and winter obviously. Im only 5’9 and Im in toronto if that helps.

Any ideas please? Could I just go to like a landfill and pick up some discarded metal bars and like get them welded together? Or do I just buy one of those big coat racks and remove the wheels on the legs and weld on a steel platform for each of the legs??

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Edit: oh sorry forgot to add that I live in an apartment so I cant screew in anything cause its illegal . also those pull up bars that use thresholds to stay put are also not enough for me because I plan on doing some absolutely looney stuff on that pull up station lol.

and by Bodyweight Deadlifts I mean this: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/SjqhGRQcMJE

I also plan on doing this: https://m.youtube.com/shorts/EVCeuFlBRHc though I have no idea what the exercise is called but FlexyDave showed it to me and I fell inlove with it. And Ill even be swinging while Im upside down like that. AND Ill be doing abdominal curls or 'upside down sit-ups' (if thats what theyre called) as Im upside down like that.

And Muscle Ups.

Edit 2 : I think Ive found what I was looking for: https://www.baseblocks.com/products/the-big-bar-pro . Very simplistic . and it appears tk be able to handle a lot of horizontal and vertical load. Also Im surprised that 50 pounds of steel can carry about 700 pounds of load! ... Huh?!...How?! Edit 3: The reviews on the website say that the station kind of slips and slides if you try to put any horizontal forces UNLESS you hold it down with sand bags. But Im gonna put this thing in my room so sandbags are kind of out of the question.... So my search is still on.

Edit 4: Ive decided that above the bar exercises probably wouldnt be the best exercises to do in an apartment bedroom as I dont know how high or low the bar will be when I purchase the product in relation to the height of the apartment’s ceilings-to-floor measurements. Ill just save those for the jungle gyms when summer and late spring come around.

View original on lemmy.world
20

pull up station ideas please?

I need a pull up station, NOT a pull up bar, because I plan on doing bodyweight dead lifts in the middle of summer AND winter and jungle gyms just dont cut it in the fall and winter obviously. Im only 5'9 if that helps.

Any ideas please? Could I just go to like a landfill and pick up some discarded metal bars and like get them welded together? Or do I just buy one of those big coat racks and remove the wheels on the legs and weld on a steel platform for each of the legs??

Thanks to anyone who answers.

View original on lemmy.world
6