Spyke

Replies

Comment on

I can't believe it's been a year already.

Reply in thread

I‘m old(er), need my PC for work since my livelyhood depends on it, and unfortunately only have a limited amount of fucks to give per day. That made it quite the daunting task to switch OS since I‘m stuck with Windows for over 20 years now.

Got new hardware recently and will take my time to set up Zorin OS while keeping the old Windows machine running in parallel for a while. It is the softest of switches I could think of all in all, and I‘m looking forward to it. Sometimes things take time, especially when people have essentially been indoctrinated with Windows since their early school days.

europe

Comment on

Far-right AfD win in Germany is ‘grave moment’ for Europe, politicians warn

Since supersquirrel chose the same misleading title for this thread, I’ll just post my comment again:

The AfD can suck a big one, but they only won the federal state election in Saxonia-Anhalt, with a population of 1.7 million against Germany’s 80+ million. It’s still very worrisome to me, and they won the state in a landslide, but “winning in Germany” hasn’t happened yet, thankfully.

I don’t know why this irks me so much, but it does, and I have nothing to do today so I correct it.

memes

Comment on

German joke

Reply in thread

Maybe y’all should eat at a restaurant in Germany before you judge German cuisine. I’m not walking into a McDonalds and go “MMM, AMERICAN FOOD TASTES LIKE SHIT!” Fucking hell…

games

Comment on

Behold, "the whole story of Steam's economy in one picture": the top 1% of games earn 84.5% of estimated revenue, and most games barely make anything

Reply in thread

I’m not sure how they started, but Brotato came from a very small studio, and rose up to top-played on Steam Deck and some other charts. It made their creators a lot of money, because they were lucky, sure, but also because they made a very good game and had a platform to sell it from.

As far as I know, Valve’s monetisation scheme for developers is also quite fair. I might be one of those fanboys, but I think they deserve it to some extent. There’s much worse players out there, and with the money Valve is making and the market share they have now, they could absolutely be one of the bad ones and not care.

Comment on

Open source vs proprietary software

I’m a freelancer and unfortunately rely heavily on Microsoft. Haven’t had that stance for long, to be honest, but the past few months have been eye-opening. I’m trying to go more European in the future, and Open Source where viable.

It is a little scary I have to admit. I’m getting old enough to have worked with MS products for decades now, and am so used to them. It’s also a challenge to myself to move away and try new things, as I believe this will be a selling point in the near future in my business.

Comment on

How do you usually practise self-care?

  • Working out
  • Drinking little to no alcohol
  • Stoped smoking weed altogether
  • Meditating regularly
  • Spend as little time in front of a screen as possible

And in general, being kind to myself. I know I’m my biggest critic, no-one knows my flaws as well as I do. Also, I don’t HAVE to meditate, work out, or not drink alcohol all the time. I’m gonna be ok if I skip one of my three weekly workouts because I’m tired. I’m gonna be ok if I have a few beers every other month with friends.

cat

Comment on

So fabulous

Reply in thread

What I read is that being a common misconception which can lead to fungus growth. So maybe do your own research before making decisions based on comments in the internet :)

Comment on

Teary Trump voters regret after brother who fought with US Special Forces dies in ICE custody

I think most of the reactions here are sad. Yes, he voted for Trump, but he just lost a brother, man. It’s the same thing with Brexit over here in Europe and the far-right parties gaining more and more ground: people who don’t know any better and want easy solutions to the big problems we are facing get manipulated by scum looking to make themselves rich. Don’t be mad at him for being manipulated. Be mad at the pests manipulating them.

linux

Comment on

China joins Europe in scrapping Windows for Linux

Reply in thread

A lot of the world server-wise is running on Linux already anyway, Microsoft’s own servers included. For the end user I’d argue it is not about stability but rather UX mostly. I’m not completely tech illiterate, but I prefer something that “just works” without too much fiddling, and Linux definitely isn’t that currently.

On the other hand, a knowledgeable IT department can provide that for the enduser, you just need the knowledgeable people in your IT department and the will (budget) to move away from the current environment, then everything works just fine. But time will tell.

Comment on

Meta Just Paid Nearly $17 Billion To Make Sure It Gets To Write The Kid Safety Rules For Every Other Social Media Platform

Reply in thread

Using an app that lets me block apps on my device with built-in safety features to stop me from cheating, I’ve finally got a hold of my social media usage (and going away from Instagram and Reddit, that helped too). Thing is, I’m a grown-ass adult, and it still was that hard for me to do it. Two hours a day is still so much fucking time. And across two services, too, there is three more social media channels they can spend 2 hours each on and suddenly you spent 8 hours a day online. This agreement is shit.