Spyke

Replies

Comment on

Its crazy to me that no one is saying "if rhe AI is doing all the jobs maybe we can spend more time with the family and children we supposedly love."

Reply in thread

This is a good point, and it's often much longer workhours. People used to have to stop when it got dark, because candles and oil lamps were too expensive, but not with electric lights. Mules refuse to work more than about six hours a day, but trucks will keep going as long as you refuel them.

memes

Comment on

My people need me

Reply in thread

I think this isn't because boomers are the only ones who care about politics, but more because boomers are more likely to be retired now and have free time to do this stuff. I agree that generational warfare is stupid

Comment on

I don't care what cis people think is a rule gender

Reply in thread

Some people put them in their email signatures which is fine and has actually been useful a couple times with names that were unclear to me.

This is me. I'm a cis man, he/him, but I have a gender neutral name. For some reason everyone in email has always assumed that I'm a woman. So when pronoun discourse started being more common, I was like great, awesome, and started putting he/him in my email signature. Solved that problem. Now everyone thinks I'm a trans man, because "why would a cis person put pronouns in their email signature?" Progress!!

Comment on

EV Charging Doesn't Need to Be as Fast as Gas, Ionna CEO Says

Reply in thread

5+hr of driving in a day

5 hours of driving is nothing. This is what I'm saying, the daily time savings between gas and EV only makes a serious difference once you get to the 10-12 hours/day range, which most people are unwilling to do anyway, thus rendering it kind of a moot point.

Also, the longer distance you go, the less expensive the trip will be by EV. You don't have to remember to change your oil before you leave on a trip, and you don't have to worry about oil changes partway through very long trips.

You willing to sit a fucking Walmart for 1hr to get to 100%?

With the EV I was road trippin in it took like 30 minutes. I would use the Walmart bathroom, buy some candy, and read a book. I survived to tell the harrowing tale. I will say, big box store bathrooms are typically much cleaner than gas station bathrooms

Comment on

EV Charging Doesn't Need to Be as Fast as Gas, Ionna CEO Says

Reply in thread

This is fascinating to read because it's completely the opposite of how I think.

If I was regularly 30 min late coming home from work I would scream. Nobody has time for that!

30 min late on vacation? Who cares? You can't even plan any trip with that tight of tolerances, anyway. Too many factors beyond your control could delay you by more than 30 minutes, easily. As you say, this type of thing can happen even with gas cars, or trains, planes, boats, bicycles, etc.

Comment on

donuts and homemade egg sandwiches too

Reply in thread

The flip side of this is when everyone is like "the USA could never rely on public transit, it's too big" ignoring that yellow schoolbuses go almost fuckin everywhere in this country, including to some crazy rural places

Also, wild, when I was a kid they just didn't have seatbelts at all lol. Minor, useless improvements ftw?

Comment on

EV Charging Doesn't Need to Be as Fast as Gas, Ionna CEO Says

Reply in thread

I guess different people work differently. I'm speaking from my direct experience; I was cynical as hell until I actually tried it, and it really wasn't as bad as I expected.

Would I prefer an ICE car for a long distance road trip? Yes. Can I take an EV on a road trip and have a good time? Also yes. Was the EV cheaper than taking an ICE car an equivalent distance? Also yes.

Comment on

How are people still buying giant cars?

It doesn’t matter how much gas is, there was never an excuse to waste it in the first place. People are just bad at finances and stoked about big vehicles. I think it’s not any more or less complicated than that.

People buy big SUV’s and trucks “for safety” even though they’re famously extremely likely to roll over. Everyone who does this is a fucking stupid, there’s no polite way to say it.