Spyke

Replies

fauxmoi

Comment on

Simon Pegg on the Cornell Rapists

Reply in thread

Framed this as a question because YMMV. I've seen this take in manosphere-adjacent spaces as a response to whatever allegations are in the news. "Oh, now all men are rapists, huh?" or something like that. Without addressing the allegation itself, of course. It's like they are creating this monster that just loves ruining men's lives by wrongly accusing them of rape. It happens, yeah, but it's not the point, the point is to radicalize men into thinking that women are not equal to men.

I've met people (usually having traumatic experiences) who really think that "all men" are whatever. But this is an outlier in my book. In social media this point can be exaggerated (plus, "controversial opinion = engagement" plague) so I guess it can influence some people's opinions and views. But I still think the majority of people are not as radical.

Comment on

Not a socialist

Reply in thread

They can be annoying, frustrating, naive and so on. It doesn't mean they won't believe in the same ideas, they're just a bit ignorant. That's why it's important to explain why this line of thinking in this meme is harmful, not to shame them. There's a path to "wokeness", basically, it's not instant.

Not everyone is terminally online, especially if they're working two jobs just to survive. We must not gatekeep socialist ideas, it's one of those things on the left that divides people and drives them away.

Comment on

Wow!

Reply in thread

I like to think of "parents and tech" as "kids and toys". They don't understand it, they just want to use it and enjoy it. And they certainly don't care what problematic ethics are involved. So just like with kids, we have to be more careful and caring. And we definitely don't want to overwhelm them with too much information.

You reached the end