Comment on
Reddit stock collapses 23% as AI eats away at user growth
The fact that I've been a Reddit user for 17 years and I'm reading this on Lemmy says a lot about what Reddit has become.
Comment on
Reddit stock collapses 23% as AI eats away at user growth
The fact that I've been a Reddit user for 17 years and I'm reading this on Lemmy says a lot about what Reddit has become.
Comment on
Thailand freezes 49 data centres as resource fears escalate
Data Centers should produce their own energy through solar or wind. I believe they should be off-the-grid energy wise.
Comment on
Microsoft tried to ban "Microslop," and six months later it has given up
They're actually quite lucky to be called "Microslop" instead of what we used to call it back in the day...
Comment on
POV: you spent 30 minutes to write a well-worded, well-structured post (it only took the AI mod a millisecond to remove it)
Reddit is quickly becoming a den of censorship, the opposite of what it used to stand for.
Comment on
Is Linux on a laptop with an Intel Processor + an NVidia GPU still the absolute fucking nightmare it was 10 years ago?
It's not a nightmare, but I'll still go with AMD next time. I think NVIDIA does a really poor job with drivers still. I keep having sleep issues.
Comment on
Microsoft executive called AI the ‘largest theft of labor’ in history, court records show
Reply in thread
And not just Microsoft. This applies to all of the big tech names training AI models. Not to mention the destruction of a few rare books (I kinda forgive the paper itself, but some copies are just rare and they don't seem to care).
Comment on
What's the worst financial decision you've ever made?
Put my life on hold to pursue a PhD in CS, because I thought that would guarantee me a future. Well, it did not. Going straight into an industry job would have made my life a lot better financially and I would probably be buying a house by now.
Comment on
What's the worst financial decision you've ever made?
Reply in thread
Exactly, but even if your tuition is paid for with a grant, alongside a stipend, I would argue against pursuing a PhD, with the only exception being when you want a job in academia, like you said. The amount of money you'll be making in academia is absolute peanuts compared to the industry, and the same goes for relevant work experience.
Personally, I had to get a grant with a stipend, or else I wouldn't be able to afford it. I also got to lecture as an invited assistant for a year, but I never really wanted to teach. I wanted to dedicate myself to research, but I quickly realized nobody around me was actually trying to push the boundaries of knowledge and, instead of discussing ideas, learning from each other, and taking some freakin' risks, what I found was a lot of ass kissing, and seniors constantly doing paperwork to get funding, while delegating research to students. Everything that mattered to me felt secondary to everybody else. It felt quite lonely, so I eventually made the decision to leave, after nearly 20 years studying and working at the university.
It wasn't easy (still isn't), and this is why I like to share this perspective. Maybe it can save some heartache and financial hardship to a few people.
Comment on
Small and secure Docker images for Rust: Alpine vs Debian vs Scratch
Personally, I settled on wolfi-base, which feels a lot like Alpine, but is based on glibc, so there's fewer compatibility issues. I also considered debian-slim, but there's just too many CVEs in Debian, and I was fed up with it being so outdated all the time. What I really wanted was something like wolfi, but more open, i.e., not associated with paid images. We need a glibc-based Alpine!
Comment on
Small and secure Docker images for Rust: Alpine vs Debian vs Scratch
Reply in thread
Because most images from Chainguard are paid, apart from the base image, the way I use it is through multi-stage builds, where I simply copy what I need from other images into the wolfi base, unless of course it's just easier to install what I want using apk. If I could do that with plain Alpine, I would, but most stuff is compiled for glibc, so it's a no-go.
If security is the main factor for your, I'd recommend you scan the image with grype, so you can get a grasp of how many CVEs you're working with.
Comment on
What's the worst financial decision you've ever made?
Reply in thread
I think nothing beats experience, regardless of what your education is. As long as you can prove that you know what you're talking about, companies will hire you. So, if you've got a masters or a doctorate, but no experience, you're in a tough spot immediately. On the other hand, there's a trade-off with time; the time you spent on your education is time you could've spent instead gaining experience and networking. It's hard to do both, but during a masters it might be possible. Quite harder to do while pursuing a doctorate though, unless the networking is happening inside academia.
Comment on
ujust update JSON output
Reply in thread
It will probably get fixed. I was just making sure it was not just me. Thanks! :D
Comment on
What's the worst financial decision you've ever made?
Reply in thread
That's my perspective as well, we're either overqualified or underexperienced, as you said. For, personally, it also took a toll mentally, both because the journey was tough due to the pursuit of funding, but also because I finished during COVID, which took any chance away, due to the absolute lack of networking happening at the time.
Comment on
As a young person, how can you achieve any sense of stability when it feels like no career path or job is stable?
It depends on what you actually like to do. For something like computer science, I wouldn’t pursue a higher education. This was my path. CS was the hot thing back then (it might look like it still is sometimes, but it’s not really, it’s a lot more like plumbing now). I ended up with a PhD in CS, which is essentially useless. In CS, the only thing that matters, after understanding the basics, is keeping up with new tech and learning for yourself. No college degree can really prepare you for this. Now, if you want to be a doctor, you wouldn’t be able to skip the degree. That’s why I said it depends.
Personally, for my job, if I went back I wouldn’t pursue a higher education anymore. I was doing perfectly well learning by myself even before high school. If you are able to get into an online community of people with the same interest, you’ll be able to learn a lot more, and build a network of contacts. You’ll skip useless subjects and just build up what matters.
My advice to you is to follow your passion (everything will fail anyway, so that’s how you get motivation to keep going). After you know what you want to do, then decide if you need a course or if you can get a job and learn by yourself in order to progress. Unless the job you’re seeking requires some kind of credential, like medicine or law, then you can progress much faster by doing. It won’t look like at first, but you will. If you end up pursuing a higher education, then my advice is to try and go through it as quickly as possible. The goal is to get out quickly. Staying in academia has a terrible cost for the mind. If you lose your mind, you’ll lose everything later.