Comment on
US bill threatens to turn your VPN into a piracy blocklist
Not enforceable, what will they do about offshore VPNs? Many major VPN companies are already based outside of the US
Comment on
US bill threatens to turn your VPN into a piracy blocklist
Not enforceable, what will they do about offshore VPNs? Many major VPN companies are already based outside of the US
Comment on
How do you even pronounce UEFI?
I say the letters U-E-F-I but often say BIOS interchangeably
Comment on
Never let it connect, btw... no matter how nicely it asks.
Projector is the best non-smart TV in 2026, the name brand projectors (ViewSonic, BenQ, Phillips, Optoma, Epson) are often either non-smart or just come with a streaming stick you don't have to use.
Comment on
as good as new
Reply in thread
My dad also gives me a hard time about still wearing clothes he bought me in high school like 15 years ago
Comment on
Never let it connect, btw... no matter how nicely it asks.
Reply in thread
Just set it up in a room that is or can be made not bright, doesn't need to be totally pitch dark necicarily
Comment on
Yeah I'm not doing that.
Reply in thread
I think 78k was my salary back then, the stock market has done really well the last decade. $1.5 million is the amount I plan to retire with.
Comment on
Brb, gonna sample some sci-fi
But Fallout is American, not British
Comment on
F-Droid gets its biggest update in a decade with new UI and smoother app installs
Reply in thread
You don't need to root your phone, just unlock the bootloader. But yes you will need to hook it to a PC or maybe another phone to make it work. I did mine off a PC.
Comment on
F-Droid gets its biggest update in a decade with new UI and smoother app installs
Reply in thread
You can opt out of it by putting your phone in "developer mode" or by using something like LineageOS
Comment on
C:/users/website/file.html
So looks like systems guys like me still have a job but the devs are screwed?
Comment on
Yeah I'm not doing that.
Reply in thread
In investments, if your investments earn 7%/yr which is a fair bit less than you can make off a basic index fund on average you have 4% to live on and 3% for inflation and your money lasts forever.
Comment on
Yeah I'm not doing that.
No kids and looking forward to retiring in my mid-30s
Comment on
Yeah I'm not doing that.
Reply in thread
I got my good paying job at 24 and saved most of my money, but as a single person I spent $20k/yr total cost of living while living in a room in someone's basement and a lot of that was just takeout and beer honestly.
Comment on
Yeah I'm not doing that.
Reply in thread
I'm on track to retire in my mid-30s due to not having the expenses that my co-workers with kids do, and I don't have to do a damn thing before or after work I'm just sitting on a couch drinking a beer and watching anime when I get home. I'm 2 miles from work and don't have to be there until 10 but that's not necessarily the norm.