Spyke

Replies

Comment on

Github co-creator & Pro Git author skewers Git 3.0's SHA-256 move

His defense of SHA-1:

Mathematically, for SHA-1’s 160-bit output, the birthday bound means that you would need about 1.4 septillion random files (1.4 quadrillion billion files - 1,400,000,000,000,000 billion - it's impossible to effectively describe) in a single project to have file hashes accidentally collide.

For the most part the article mostly talks about collision attacks, which quite frankly i think is silly.

He also talks about hashes pointing to other (older) projects using a different hashing algorithm, but can't the software just detect if its a SHA-1 hash or SHA-256, and fetch it accordingly? He acts like its the end of the world when in my mind most everything can (and probably will) be compensated for pretty easily. It's reminiscent of the IPv6 fear-mongering.

The thing that gets me is he doesn't say if the current hashing algorithm or the new one has any support for when hashes do collide. Since that can theoretically happen with both, to me that sounds like a problem worth tackling.

Comment on

What's Stopping you from using PeerTube?

I've tried searching PeerTube a number of times, basically once a year, but no matter what topic I search for all I get are weird, stupid videos not even remotely related to what i want. From what i can tell there is no high quality content on the platform, and that makes me sad so i give up on it very quickly.

rpg

Comment on

City Docks

Don't like how the leftmost dock slants over at the end. A screw you to that business with the private dock! If that dock were straight then 2 ships could fit in there rather than 1...

Comment on

Has Gboard been getting worse for y'all?

Reply in thread

I've beenntrying O t FUTO for the last week and have not been very impressed with it over Heliboard. The autocorrect predixtion is either way too aggressive for some words, or just doesn't bother for other words. I mean I could say the same thing for Heliboard, but that tends towork just a little bit better for me. Btw I didn't manually correct any typos in this reply, that's all on FUTO.