Spyke

Replies

linux

Comment on

Windows 11 is failing as an operating system

Reply in thread

Hmm, our central services are mostly open source based, I think. Hard to measure.

Yes, everyone uses the ActiveDirectory to login, even some Linux users, but most web-based services rely on Open Source. Things like Seafile and OnlyOffice is used more and more. We have BigBlueButton as a working alternative to Zoom. My workflow is completely Linux-based. Many colleagues could switch, too, if they want to.

linux

Comment on

Debian Votes To Allow "Responsible Use Of Generative AI"

This is good news; Debian is still the way to go for me:

Debian acknowledges that the legal status of material produced by generative AI systems remains the subject of ongoing discussion in many jurisdictions, including questions relating to copyright, authorship, licensing, and potential reproduction of training material. The Project does not seek to resolve these unsettled legal questions through this General Resolution, nor does it adopt a position on whether AI-generated output is, in whole or in part, copyrightable or derived from copyrighted works.

linux

Comment on

Debian Votes To Allow "Responsible Use Of Generative AI"

Reply in thread

You are not supposed to use online LLMs for undisclosed security stuff; there is no general ban of online services if you can take responsibility for the stuff it produces for the contributor. At least, this is how I read the general resolution.

This is one more reason, that using Debian as my main distro was a good choice.

me_irl

Comment on

me_irl

Reply in thread

I have my own office now; never had that; that is why my door is always open when I am inside. My current job is somewhat compatible with being interrupted by requests. The open door helps others to approach me to get help with their IT problem or else.

Only for rare online meetings I close the door.

Looking back at my old hybrid job I am glad to have this new job; no more daily online meetings no matter where I am, in the office or at home. I enjoy my new workplace and going to the office every day, but I guess it helps living very close by (4 minutes by foot).

linux

Comment on

Finally done with the distro-hop: My return to Fedora

Reply in thread

Yeah, Silverblue is nice; not my main distro, though. I came from many years of Gentoo on almost all machines I had. Debian stable is currently the most practical for me.

The immutable variant of Fedora is nice for the low maintenance computers, although I needed to get my head around podman to not overuse rpm-ostree. So far so good. I think it will not replace the distro on my main machine, but I see the way it works as a general potential future. An immutable variant of Debian stable would be something I'd consider switching for.