Spyke

Replies

cooking

Comment on

I made Turkey Bacon

This looks great. I wouldn't typically go for turkey bacon but honestly, if I saw this at my local butcher and they'd made it by hand, you bet I'd be taking some home.

And inb4 "why don't you just eat real bacon": I don't typically eat pork because in the UK, pigs are typically very intensively farmed (in e.g. farrowing crates) and slaughtered inhumanely (using CO2 suffocation). Unless you have a good butcher you can trust with a traceable supply chain and who uses a less inhumane abattoir, it's very hard to get pork that's not had a truly horrible life.

Poultry / fowl generally have a less bad life in the UK if (big "if") you get them from a good butcher. We still intensively farm birds but it's quite a bit easier to get higher welfare fowl from supermarkets or butchers. That's not to say that all fowl is "ethical", but it's easier to do so, in my experience.

fuck_ai

Comment on

Man Pretends to Hallucinate in Job Interview With an AI Bot, Causing It to Go Haywire

Reply in thread

thank you. I read the thread and watched the video expecting some bonkers ramblings from an LLM that had somehow been jailbroken or something.

What I actually watched is the system working as designed (more or less) and basically wasted 30s of my life watching the modern equivalent of some rando entering garbage answers into a company's digital resume entry form.

I'm as sceptical of LLMs as the next man, but honestly this creator isn't exactly doing their narrative any favours.

Comment on

til about manjaro

I think as with most things, Manjaro does have a niche. I like Arch for a whole load of reasons and I've previously used it for years (although I've now moved to NixOS ).

But the company I work for has a great policy of letting people use whatever OS they want. I normally go with Manjaro because it's "Archy" enough to satisfy me but it's much easier & faster to install fresh - which matters if you get a new work laptop every year and want to get started quickly.

You reached the end