Posts
‘Stand with Taiwan,’ US senators say - Taipei Times
I'm glad at least seven people had the courage to speak up. No Republicans, though. That's weird, to hear them tell it they are supposed to be "tough on China."
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2026/09/24/2003864796Open linkView original on piefed.socialThe KMT’s failed ‘Taiwanization’ - Taipei Times
The most cogent and incisive description of the KMT's about-face on alignment with China I've read. It's humorous to see the author's qualifications to write about this matter summed up as "Lee Min-yung is a poet."
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2026/08/29/2003863311Open linkView original on piefed.social'A Foggy Tale' named Taiwan's Oscars submission - Focus Taiwan
I hope it wins. This film was SO good!
https://focustaiwan.tw/culture/202608180019Open linkView original on piefed.socialCKS Memorial Hall to host Tâi-gí film series as part of human rights program - Focus Taiwan
This looks really interesting. And I can't help thinking there's a certain poetic justice to showing films about human rights, in Taiwanese no less, in the memorial for the dictator who slaughtered thousands and tried to crush Taiwanese identity. 😉
https://focustaiwan.tw/culture/202608100020Open linkView original on piefed.social‘One China’ policy may complicate response to Taiwan: Ex-Finnish PM - Taipei Times
Ugh. I can't believe we're still tripping over this. There was never any "One China" policy that stated Taiwan was part of China. This was about CKS's pipe dream of "retaking the mainland," which, frankly, had already long been dead 50 years ago when countries shifted their recognition from Taipei to Beijing. Yeah, there's one China. And one Taiwan. Get over it.
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2026/08/05/2003861965Open linkView original on piefed.socialTHSRC set for largest timetable change in 20 years - Taipei Times
This is great to see. Taiwan's high speed rail is a great way to travel, but lately you can tell its popularity is straining capacity. All the trains are full, and often sell out during holidays. A boost of 25% peak capacity would be very welcome!
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2026/08/02/2003861784Open linkView original on piefed.socialTaiwan recognizes Siraya as 17th Indigenous group | Taiwan News | Jul. 30, 2026 15:24
This has been a long time coming. I'm happy to see this for the Siraya community. I hope the other indigenous groups seeking this recognition also get it.
Notes from Central Taiwan: Institutionalizing Taiwan’s tourism failure - Taipei Times
Unable to solve the enduring mystery of why Taiwan does not attract tourists in the desired numbers (despite the collective screams of all of us knowledgeable long-term foreigners watching the government flail uselessly at the problem), policymakers have decided to establish a Taiwan Tourism Institu
https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/archives/2026/07/27/2003861433Open linkView original on piefed.social


