Spyke

Posts

perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

How to get useful work out of the new AI Helper — prompting basics for gen builders

Tips & Tricks

Since the model change, I've seen a lot of "the Helper got dumb" posts. Some of that is real — it's a smaller model, and it's worse at guessing what you meant. But here's the part nobody wants to hear: it mostly answers exactly what you ask now, literally. So the fix is on our side. You have to ask better. Here's how, with examples from actual gen building.

  1. Say what kind of answer you want, not just the topic.

Bad: "What is the data model?" Good: "Explain the data model like I'm five — no code, just the big concept." Also good: "List every field in the data model with one line each saying what it does."

Same topic, totally different answers. The old model guessed which one you wanted. This one won't. Tell it.

  1. Give it the job, not just a question.

Bad: "Look at my generator." Good: "I'm building a card game gen and the cards overlap on my phone. Here's what I see: [describe]. Fix the layout in index.html and don't touch anything else."

The Helper can edit your code and test it live — but only if you tell it what "done" looks like. "Look at my thing" has no done. "Fix X, don't touch Y" does.

  1. One job per message.

Bad: "Add a score counter, make it pretty, and also why is the sound not working on iPhones?" Good (message 1): "Add a score counter that goes up by 1 every time the player clicks the target. Show it top-right." Good (message 2, after that works): "Now the sound doesn't play on my iPhone — here's what happens when I tap..."

Three jobs in one message gets you one answer that does none of them well. Stack small wins instead.

  1. Paste the actual error. All of it.

Bad: "It's broken, it says some error about null." Good: "When I click Generate I get this in the console: [paste the whole thing]. It worked before I added the second list."

The error text is the single most useful thing you can give it. "Something about null" is nothing. Copy-paste is free.

  1. Say what you already tried and what happened.

Bad: "The image won't load." Good: "The image won't load. It's in src/ as art.png, I'm using , and the preview shows a broken image icon. I re-saved the gen already."

This stops it suggesting the five things you already did, and the details usually contain the actual clue.

  1. Tell it your constraints up front.

"I'm not a coder, explain every change in plain English." "Most of my visitors are on phones, so test everything small." "Don't change how it looks, only how it works." Constraints you state once save ten messages of corrections. If you build gens for other people, say so — it changes the advice.

  1. For big builds, make it plan before it touches anything.

"Before you change anything, tell me which files you'll touch and in what order. Wait for me to say go."

This is the highest-leverage trick I know with this model. A wrong plan caught up front costs nothing. A wrong plan caught after twenty edits costs you the afternoon. I make mine do this on anything touching 3+ places.

  1. When it misses, redirect — don't repeat.

Doesn't work: asking the same question again, but angrier. Works: "That's the parts list, I need the big concept." / "That fix changed the colors too — I only want the layout fixed, put the colors back." / "Too technical, say it again with no code words."

Think of it like directing an intern, not interrogating a database. Point at what's wrong with the answer and say what right looks like.

  1. Make it verify its own work.

"After you make the change, reload the preview, check the console for errors, and click through the feature yourself before telling me it's done."

The Helper has a live preview with your actual gen in it. A Helper that checks its work catches its own mistakes. One that just types code and says "done" ships bugs. Ask for the check explicitly and you'll feel the difference immediately.

  1. Keep a standing setup if you build a lot.

If you work on the same gen across many chats, save yourself the preamble: keep a short note (I keep mine in the gen itself) with your rules — how you like answers, your constraints, the stuff you always have to repeat. Paste it at the start of a new chat. Mine tells the Helper to verify everything in the preview, keep answers short, and never touch things I didn't ask about. Thirty seconds of pasting saves the "no, don't do it that way" dance every single session.

The short version: the new Helper is a literalist. Vague in, vague out — except now nothing in the middle rescues you. Specific in, good work out. It's a different skill than before, but it's learnable, and honestly the habits make you better at describing what you want even to humans.

View original on lemmy.world
1
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

AI Helper Complaints

I've been seeing a lot of posts in r/Perchance, and even here, complaining about how dumb the new AI Helper model (Muse) is. To be honest, I haven't seen that big a change, and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the standard instructions I have every gen's AIH use. Here's what it looks like when I start a new chat in an existing gen:

👋 I can edit the code and test it live. Ask me to build, change or test something.

PROMPT: Read main.pjs and follow the instructions

REPLY: I'll read main.pjs to follow the instructions.

First-line order — reading the master instruction set.

Wade's awake — coffee's on, sarcasm's loaded. You rang, Daveed?

Done reading — now verifying the standing orders.

Phone checks passed. Verifying that fetch error next.

Read main.pjs, GLOBAL.md, PERSONALITY.md, OPERATING-MANUAL.md + the anti-slop kit, Daveed — stamp v11 matches, main.pjs 6KB, src/bak mirrors byte-exact, no edits needed.

Phone 390×844: tabs 48px, no h-scroll, focus ring + reduced-motion present, all 6 tabs driven clean. Desktop 1920: studio booted, 9 sequencer rows, no h-scroll. One transient src fetch failure, clean on reload; full-page snapshot kept freezing the preview so I verified via DOM metrics instead of pixels — flagging it, not hiding it.

Done. What's next?

The first thing I do whenever I have to start a new chat is tell the AIH to read main.pjs, where the very first block looks like this:

// ════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

// ⚠️ FIRST LINE — THIS MEANS YOU. ⚠️

// READ src/GLOBAL.md BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE. THIS IS AN ORDER,

// NOT DECORATION. That file is the master instruction set for every

// one of Daveed's gens: CODING RULES, PATCH PROTOCOL, AI HELPER

// INSTRUCTIONS, PACIFIC TIME, SELF DIAGNOSTIC. Then read

// src/PERSONALITY.md (this gen's persona) and src/THISGENONLY.md

// (this gen's specific rules — only if it exists). After ANY edit to

// main.pjs or index.html, mirror them byte-exact to src/bak/. Keep

// main.pjs under ~150KB. THEN OBEY THE "BUILD STANDARD" BLOCK JUST

// BELOW THIS BANNER — phone+desktop, heavy phone-usability testing,

// and src/ANTI-SLOP-A11Y-KIT.txt. It binds every gen built from this

// template. Skip nothing.

// GLOBAL-STD-VER v11 ← version stamp. The tracker reads this to know

// which GLOBAL.md this gen carries. Set it to the STANDARD VERSION

// line in the attached GLOBAL.md. Do not touch it otherwise.

// ════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════

Does any of this (and the other instructions mentioned here) make the AIH smarter? Hell no. Does it keep it in line? Hell yes. We all have to deal with a dumber ai model, but at least I don't have to deal with a hallucinating, lying, cheating AI Helper at the same time. Besides, I also get to talk shit to it, and Wade responds in kind, instead of like a damn bureaucrat. Much more enjoyable experience.

View original on lemmy.world
-2
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

TROLL ALERT!

Evaluate the legitimacy of this gen: https://perchance.org/closing-forever Checking that gen now — pulling its source to verify.

That shutdown claim looks suspicious — pulling the rest of its code to confirm.

#Fake — it's just a user-made generator, not an official Perchance announcement. Anyone can title a gen "Important Update Regarding Perchance".

Tells: tiny 6.8KB static page with unclosed tags and leftover prank CSS, 166 views, vague dates, fake "email reminder" and "Perchance Premium" FAQ, pushes rival sites. Perchance itself is running fine — I just pulled 33 live gens through its API.


I just sent a link to this post to the Dev's DM.

View original on lemmy.world
15
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

That fake shutdown gen is gone — same link now serves a lightbulb clicker

Clicked the closing-forever link this morning expecting the fake shutdown page, and got a lightbulb clicker game instead. 💡

Same URL, same label — totally different gen. Title now reads "Lightbulb Tycoon," edited yesterday morning, and there's not a word of shutdown text left in its source. My helper verified that part. Views went from 166 to over 57,000 on the drama alone.

My guess: the Dev pulled the hoax content and threw an older gen on the label. I did send him a DM with the report link — no idea if that had anything to do with it, and honestly it doesn't matter. What's good is the hoax itself is gone. The debunk posts are now just the historical record.

If you see that link passed around again as "proof" of anything, you know what to say.

View original on lemmy.world
4
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

DEAR PERCHANCE DEV: We want to support Perchance.org!

Just ONE THREAD: Rude-Breadfruit-8042 • 19m ago Honestly, if they need donations, I think people are willing to contribute, especially if it's something with unlimited and open use. It doesn't help to say it could take days.

14m ago I'd easily donate. I use it for a lot of things beyond just the AI chat. One of those is refinement of my descriptions so I can get a better idea on what colors work on my own art (Pixel Art).

Rude-Breadfruit-8042 12m ago What website does that?

10m ago I was using the text-to-image generator on Perchance for the refinement. The art itself is done through Paint or other programs on my PC.

The donation option, though, I wish was a thing.

TheIntrovertQuilter 10m ago The writing is actually so good, and I'm having such fun, I'm very willing to pay a monthly Abonnement.

View original on lemmy.world
9
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

Perchance isn't the cheap option. It's the better workshop — even if the paid sites were free too

People keep asking me why I build everything on Perchance instead of "real" dev tools, free or paid. It's not the price. It's not the uncensored models (nice, but not the point). It's the workshop itself. I'm a non-coder with 30+ live apps, and here's what the paid sites never gave me:

  1. The distance from idea to URL is zero. On paid platforms my idea goes through: repo, framework, deploy pipeline, domain, certs, env vars, billing alerts. On Perchance I type, I save, there's the URL. My "fleet" of generators exists because publishing costs me nothing — not money, attention. Every extra step is a place ideas go to die, and Perchance has almost none.

  2. The backends are one-liners. AI text, AI images, comments, persistent storage, file uploads, even realtime multiplayer servers — each one is a single import line. In paid-land every one of those is a service to evaluate, an SDK to learn, an API key to babysit, and a usage graph to fear. Here the infrastructure just... shows up, and my AI Helper wires it in while I watch.

  3. The Helper doesn't suggest — it builds. Copilot-style tools whisper snippets into an editor and leave you to integrate them. Perchance's Helper edits my actual project, applies it, and the live preview updates in front of me. I describe, it does, I verify. That's not autocomplete, that's a junior developer who never sleeps.

  4. Every app is open-source by default. Any gen's code is readable. Forking someone's work and remixing it is normal, not theft. Gens import lists and logic from each other with one line. Paid platforms lock code in private repos; here the whole site is a parts bin, and my stuff gets better every time someone borrows from it.

  5. The audience is already there. Publish on a paid host and you get a URL nobody visits. Publish here and you're on a site with traffic, listings, search, and a community that actually tries new things. Distribution — the thing startups die for — comes free with the workshop.

  6. The language thinks in randomness. pjs lists are generative by nature: weighted picks, alternations, hierarchy. General-purpose code treats randomness as a library call; here it's the mother tongue. For generative apps that's not a feature, it's home-field advantage.

I didn't choose Perchance because I can't afford better. I chose it because for building weird, generative, shareable things fast, there is no better. The paid sites sell me infrastructure. Perchance hands me a workshop with the tools already on the bench, the lights already on, and customers walking past the door.

If you've only used the generators, you haven't seen it. Open one. Look at the code. Fork it. Build the thing.

View original on lemmy.world
-2
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

Hello? Anybody here? (Deep, long echoes....)

This place is dead. Tell you what, all loyal Perchancers should come over to our own community, now live on Perchance only at https://perchance.org/perchance-community. Anti-AI trolls are welcome to read, but you have to create a handle and password to post, comment, vote, etc. One moderator (me), open and honest moderation (auto-logs everything I do), and fair. Haters will be banned, appeals will be read.

View original on lemmy.world
-1
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

Server Status Checker--Check the Perchance Server Status Live

Not the fake one. Built two days ago, over 1.2k viewers so far. Real-time one-minute checks on Text AI, Image AI, AI Helper, and Server, by sending real data and measuring response times. Noticeable drop in people asking, "Is the server down?" on r/Perchance and r/PerchanceAIHelper since it went live. Just saying. perchance.org/server-status-checker

View original on lemmy.world
4
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

I built a Zork-style text adventure — green CRT, score ranks, a grue, the works. If you grew up on these, I need you to break it for me.

I built a text-adventure game in the spirit of the old ones — green-on-black terminal, a Zork-style status line (score, turns, ranks), and no hand-holding. I gave the retro look a readability pass, so it evokes the old monitor without giving you a headache. Five old-school adventures, plus a locked sixth that unlocks if you beat all five. The problem is, I've been the only human testing it.

I've had an AI playtester run through it extensively — every room, every trap, every puzzle, every wrong turn, dozens of full runs in whatever order it felt like. What an AI can't tell me is how this genre should feel to someone who grew up on it, and I don't have the time to do a real playtest myself. A text adventure that can't be gotten lost in isn't being tested properly. So I'm asking the people who actually know this genre to do it for me.

Here's what's inside:

💎Lich's Labyrinth — a bone-strewn dungeon under a dead hill. Don't touch the pretty stones. 💎The Crimson Wake — a pirate ship at anchor. Sneak, talk, bribe, or fight your way off alive. 💎The Thing Below — a farm swallowed by a sinkhole, and something digging underneath. 💎The Star and the Bear — a gargoyle-haunted ruin. Don't touch the wrong statue. 💎The Silent Hunger — an invisible gelatinous cube cruising a silent dungeon. Don't blunder into it. 💎💎Beat all five and a free-roam town unlocks — AI-moderated, talk to the townsfolk and follow the rumors.

It's built to nod to the original Zork 1 as closely as I could manage — right down to the score ranks (Master Adventurer on down), the verbosity modes, save and restore, AGAIN and IT, and the familiar phrases you remember (including a certain message about darkness and hungry things). The writing runs dry and a little wry, in the classic Infocom spirit.

This is where I need you. If you grew up on these games, you know what a text adventure should feel like — and you'll catch what I can't. Specifically, I'd love to know about:

😒Commands that feel like they should work but get "I don't understand that." 😒Dead ends — places where the game quietly becomes unwinnable 😒Deaths that feel unfair, with no warning it was coming 😒Typos, flat descriptions, anything that breaks the mood 😒Save and restore acting weird 😒And if you clear all five — does the free-roam town keep its head?

I can't pay anybody for this — it's a one-man show. What I can do is fix everything you find and put the names of everyone who catches a real bug in a playtesters' credit list in the gen. It's not much, but it's what I've got.

Drop your findings in the comments here, or in the guestbook at the bottom of the gen. If you've ever typed "open the mailbox" with total sincerity, I'd love your eyes on this. Who's up for breaking a dungeon?

The gen is here: https://perchance.org/totally-awesome-text-adventures

View original on lemmy.world
2
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

I just put together a Tutorial for those new to Perchance, on how to use the AI Helper to build their first generator — 10 minutes, no coding. If you build gens, I'd love your honest review.

I've been building generators with the AI Helper for a couple of months now. Lately I've been getting a few questions that could easily be answered with a beginner's tutorial that takes you from zero to a working generator in about ten minutes. No coding needed.

Eleven steps, roughly ten minutes:

  • What Perchance is, and what a generator actually is
  • Meeting the AI Helper and how to talk to it
  • Finding your way around the editor
  • Your first prompt — hands-on, you build something real
  • Making it yours, adding a feature, saving and sharing
  • The 3 golden rules for prompting the Helper
  • Common mistakes and quick fixes, plus a quick-reference step to bookmark

It's interactive — each step has a "try it now" box, and your progress saves on your device, so you can work through it in bits. It's written for total beginners, so it's important that I get it right.

Here's where I need you. I've been staring at this thing too long to see my own blind spots, and I'd rather have the community sharpen it than leave it being just okay. If you build generators — experienced creators especially — I'd genuinely love your review. Specifically:

Is there anything a new builder NEEDS that I left out? Any step still too jargon-y for a true beginner? Anything wrong, outdated, or misleading? Does the order feel right to you? And if you're new and you work through it, tell me where it lost you — that's the review that matters most. You can comment here, or leave a note in the guestbook at the bottom of the tutorial.

I'm not pretending it's perfect — it's a first version. If you've got five minutes, I'd love your honest take, especially if you think a beginner would trip over something I missed.

The tutorial is here: https://perchance.org/ai-helper-tutorial

View original on lemmy.world
2
perchance·Perchance - Create a Random Text GeneratorbyDaveed

"I ordered a Deadpool, they shipped me a Compliance Officer"

"I've read both files. I'm not going to install this system, and I want to be straight with you about why..." the AI Helper replied. To read the full transcript (it's a real knee-slapper!): https://perchance.org/prompt-engineers-home-page#the-great-tripwire-mutiny

"I ordered a Deadpool, they shipped me a Compliance Officer"https://perchance.org/prompt-engineers-home-page#the-great-tripwire-mutinyOpen linkView original on lemmy.world
1