Spyke

Replies

canada

Comment on

Stephen Harper warns Alberta separatism will bring 'no benefit' | CBC News

Reply in thread

Does the Quebec versus Canada framing also have no basis in truth? Was Canada wrong for allowing Quebec to have the autonomy it currently has? Because that's what Harper's spent years arguing for, including with his Alberta firewall letter addressed to Alberta's at the time not separatist Premier. I mean, I personally don't think Quebec should be allowed to have and run its own pension plan, but it does. If that's something Alberta's demanding, can we really be surprised?

canada

Comment on

Stephen Harper warns Alberta separatism will bring 'no benefit' | CBC News

Reply in thread

There's no gymnastics required because every time Ottawa oversteps (their words, not mine), they get pissed off. And they usually think Ottawa is overstepping when Ottawa starts telling Alberta what it can do or not do with its resources. It happened in the 80's (NEP), it happened in the 90's (Kyoto Accord), and it happened in 2016 (no business case). The difference is in the80's and 90's the Alberta government itself wasn't advocating for separation. Smith, today, is doing exactly that, and all of the changes made to the original 2021 law that enabled this referendum were made by Smith's government.

canada

Comment on

Alto high-speed rail project could cost more than originally thought: budget watchdog | CBC News

Reply in thread

I think it very much depends on your perspective, and also how old you are. Keep in mind I was 25 when the financial crisis hit. There really hasn't been a decade in my adult life where there hasn't been a once-in-a-lifetime event (I turned 18 and 9/11 hit). If I'm gonna wake up tomorrow with a chip on my shoulder, I have evidence. And if I let all of that shit define me, that chip on my shoulder's gonna be Ontario-sized.