Spyke

Posts

Episode 1 - The Branson & Hudson Foundation for Podcast Recovery

The Branson & Hudson Foundation for Podcast Recovery is a foundation dedicated to the archival of podcasts. The Foundation was founded by Branson and Andrew in 2017.

The vast majority of their library includes podcasts that had just one episode.

Epsiodes | Podverse | Apple podcasts | Patreon


I discovered these guys when they were poetry-slamming with QAA's Julian & Jake. It was hilarious. So I started listening to their stuff right at the start, 2017.

Incidentally they returned to some of their very early characters (or maybe they just keep coming back to them throughout?) so I recommend episode 6 of Episode 1 "So, I Wrote A Thing", featuring Joseph Rogan (no relation) and Jerome Durepois.

Yes, this is a podcast making fun of podcasts and the people they consist of. In a way I think is worthy of being compared to the best and biggest makers of modern comedy, Monty Python.

BTW any podcatcher will do, search for "Episode One" or "E1". I just like to link the fan wiki.

View original on piefed.social
2

Another one about Lemmy and Piefed seeing/parsing things differently.

Apparently Lemmy turns my backslashes (used to escape round brackets inside a link) into forward slashes, leading to Lemmy users complaining:

Lemmy does not require the round bracket to be escaped in this case. Why it turns backslashes into forward slashes I have no idea, but it does so even when I try the same thing straight from a Lemmy instance.

Is escaping things with backslashes not common practice in Markdown?

I know there's so many implementations of Markdown it's hard to even speak of a Spec, but backslashes serve this purpose almost universally. On computers that is.

I sense an overarching narrative of Lemmy vs Piefed developing here. Or maybe a need for communication between all client developers, on how to implement things so they work across the fediverse.

Hmm, it does feel more like a Lemmy problem in this case.
Where could I raise awareness on the Lemmy side, short of opening an issue on their git repos?

View original on piefed.social
7

Automatic Blurb Extraction

Meaning that a link post automatically extracts some meta info - every time it's clicked, not only when it's created. Because it appears that Lemmy doesn't automatically do it once at posting time.

Examples:

https://piefed.social/c/[email protected]/p/2446966/la-la-land
https://piefed.zip/c/[email protected]/p/1874208/we-noticed-that-you-are-blocking-our-ads

I only see a link. When I view the original post on a Lemmy-based instance, I see an automatically, real-time extracted blurb.

Is pyfedi's stance something like "it should be enough to do that once when you create the post"? But apparently that's not common practice?

View original on piefed.social
10

Ich bin mir nicht so sicher mit song.link/odesli.co. Oder Linktree.

Anfangs mochte ich die Idee, Musik webseitenunabhäng zu teilen, aber dann habe ich mich gefragt, wer eigentlich hinter song.link steckt. Ich kann es nicht herausfinden.

Es gibt keine About-Seite. Privacy und Terms sind nur über song.link/pricing zugänglich und verlinken auf Google Docs. Kein gutes Zeichen, und ehrlich gesagt ist es so einfach falsch.

Es gibt keine Wikipedia-Seite über song.link oder odesli.co. Na ja, fast:

In August 2021, Linktree announced the acquisition of smart link provider Odesli to become a "one-stop-shop" for musicians seeking to monetize their art.


Ich verstehe dass User Künstlern gerne helfen möchten sich zu promoten, indem sie song.link teilen anstatt "nur" einem YouTube-Link. Aber wenn es da dann nur kostenpflichtige Alternativen gibt – wie oft der Fall ist – und ich keine davon abonniert habe, geht das am Zweck vorbei. Und in 100 % aller Fälle habe ich den Song trotzdem auf YT oder Bandcamp gefunden.

Es schafft nur zusätzliche Klicks.

Das wirft erneut die Frage auf: Wer profitiert von diesen zusätzlichen Schritten? Die Künstler? Oder wer auch immer song.link betreibt? Und warum sollte ich denen vertrauen?


PS: Ich verstehe das Prinzip hinter song.link. Das muss man mir nicht erklären, und ich find's auch gut.

View original on piefed.social
5

Moved from one piefed instance to another, exported/imported settings, nothing happened

To be precise: I used the export feature on piefed.zip. The resulting .json file seems to contain all my blocks and other settings but as far as I can see (I already started manually adjusting some basic stuff) nothing actually got imported, and there was no error message.

It said that it could take a few minutes, but that was yesterday.

View original on piefed.social
15

You reached the end